Thursday 16 June 2011

cock entry



As much I loved Fancy Feathers, the coop had become a bit crowded with the two new chooks, the others were also looking a bit ragged from the constant mounting from the cock, not to mention his ridiculous behaviour around the water feeder. Having to replenish the water twice a day and the floor of the coop being constantly wet and smelly. The real reason though was that Rick couldn't stand the noise anymore, it was driving him to distraction. It didn't bother me as my work is further down the farm and the cock-a-doodle doing is pleasant from where I am, but Rick is working right next door to the coop and he couldn't stand it anymore. So he's now living in the village (right by our flat) with his dad and brother.



He was one of the fertilised eggs that was given to us by our neighbour which a broody hen sat on and hatched, so it seems only fitting that he has gone back to where he came from. My neighbour has promised me she won't eat him!!

4 comments:

Julia and Mick said...

Like thelast sentence, thought he'd gone in the pot from the previous comments!!! X

Nomoresoy said...

Pretty and personality in a rooster is great, but I would breed for pleasant voice and how well the hens lay. For me it is all about quality of my life not his.

Rick and Sarah said...

i would love to breed, but at present don't have adequate housing etc. do you breed your own hens etc? would love to know more, thanks for comment

Nomoresoy said...

I raised chickens, goats, dogs, and cows in the Andes for five years. I'm very sad that I had to leave.

Housing is very important for protection against the elements, predators, and delicate chick injuries. But it is so much fun raising chicks from eggs with a good mother hen. It is worth the trouble.

There is nothing cuter and more vulnerable than day-old chicks, before they develop fear.

If you have an old outbuilding that you can lock tight at night, a box of dry grass, a clutch of eggs, and a broody hen, you should try it. Ideally, she should be top of the pecking order (the eldest hen) so that the other hens won't pick on her chicks.